httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: pod+connect doesn't work with threaded idle server maintenance
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:22:32 GMT
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Paul J. Reder wrote:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> > Please tell me how I'm confused...
> > We want to get rid of a whole process.
> >
> > If we write one char to the pod and connect() one time, we tell one
> > process, call it process A, to go away but we leave 19 other threads
> > in process A stranded in accept().  Processes B and C are unaffected
> > so far.
> >
> > If we write to the pod and connect() again in hopes of waking up one
> > of the 19 threads stranded in process A, we likely will tell process B
> > or process C to go away since there is no guarantee which thread will
> > be awakened by the kernel.
>
> Since worker_thread is given the child_num of the process, could we not
> send the child_num of the killing process on the POD so the kids can
> check. If it doesn't match their process number (i.e. if this is a B or C
> thread) then they ignore it, or pump it back onto the POD.
>
> We may need to loop sending the POD message and joining threads until we
> have hit all 20 desired threads.
>
> Any joy here?

No.  The problem is that you can't ever be sure that you will actually
kill the child process.  There is nothing saying that a loop sending 20
characters down the pipe will wake up 20 different threads.  For the
threaded case, you MUST have a mutex around the accept call, but you can
still avoid the poll call.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131