httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: plz vote on tagging current CVS as APACHE_2_0_19
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 03:53:59 GMT
On 19 Jun 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net writes:
>
> > The issue of how to deal with restart processes when one thread is stuck
> > serving a long-lived request.  That was the major reason for not releasing
> > 2.0.18 as a beta AFAICR.  I posted a design that solves the problem, but
> > then other issues got in the way of implementing it.  I started the patch
> > last Friday, and if I can find a few hours to devote to it, I should have
> > a patch this week sometime.
>
> I guess you're talking about

Nope.  I tend to design by evolution.  This message discusses my first go
at this design.  In later messages on this thread, I explained how it was
actually possible to have the temporary process become the real child
process.

The short story is that when the child process begins to die, the parent
spawns a new child.  That child starts to create threads, but only creates
as many as it can.  When it can't create any more, it waits until it can
finish creating the rest of it's threads.

The code is actually relatively simple, I just haven't had the time to
write the code up yet.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131