httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: ap_method_number_of
Date Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:20:06 GMT
On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Sapan Bhatia wrote:

> Hello,
> 	This is a change I'm making in my little Apache-variant, which I guess could be included
in the actualy server as well...
> This is probably the first of umpteen related problems...
>
> problem:
> 	 There's a function called ap_method_number_of in http_protocol.c. Now, if I need to
add some extra-http functionality outside the http modules, I'd need to add all the methods
in this function itself, which means that I can't make it an independent module...

> soln?
> 	I'm going to keep a global hash table, which 2 new modules, mod_http_methods and mod_myproto_methods
will register all their methods in [at post_config?]. And basically, a corresponding function
[ap_method_number_of] in protocol.c, which'll return the method number...

> Comments? Also... any pitfalls / precautions I'd have to take?

While this is a GREAT idea, in practice it is very complicated.  A lot of
the current modules use hard-coded method numbers, so some of the methods
will need to keep their current value.  Ken Coar did some work to make
method extensible a while ago, but it doesn't currently work perfectly.
Take a look through the code for method_list.  That should be a good
starting place.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131