httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <>
Subject Re: More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2001 15:30:23 GMT

mod_cgid should NOT use a named pipe.  We started with a named pipe, and
we moved away from that model for some very good reasons.  Secondly,
mod_cgid does NOT work on windows, and it shouldn't.  The reason for
mod_cgid, is that Unix's tend to not know how to fork threaded programs.
Windows doesn't know how to fork any program, so using mod_cgid on Windows
makes zero sense.

BTW, APR already has named pipes.  Just what are we trying to solve here?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> btw, this message goes primarily to the developers of
> mod_cgid, but is related to the apr_create_named_pipe
> proposal.
> my question is, does mod_cgid compile under win32, and
> would you like it to?
> so far i count 2 immediate projects that need
> an apr_create_named_pipe (xvl and mod_cgid) and
> two long-term ones (tng and dce/rpc).
> an apr_wait_named_pipe_handle_state() which
> emulates .h.. WaitNamedPipeHandle will also
> be needed.
> i know how to do this in unix-domain-socket land,
> i'm eager to hear if anyone wants to do the win32 version.[btw plare
> please remember i'm not subscribed to new-httpd, thx!]
> luke

Ryan Bloom
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131