httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: idle server processes not going away
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2001 23:51:13 GMT
On 1 Jun 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> <rbb@covalent.net> writes:
>
> > I think the only way to really solve this, is to look at how the longjmp()
> > was used in 1.3 to ensure we died correctly.  I would also suggest looking
> > at how threaded dies.  If the real problem is the signal handling, then I
> > would suggest that Dean was correct about signals and daemons, and we
> > should just remove all singals and use the pipe_of_death for all Unix
> > MPMs.
>
> I understand how the pipe of death works...  Having to look at it all
> the time is a performance issue :)

It isn't a performance issue if it is done the way that Greg and I have
been talking about.  It is only an issue if we do blocking reads.

> > Assuming that locks are interuptable is not a good idea IMHO.
>
> unclear what you mean...  all supported platforms have interruptible
> locks...

Your message specifically says that pthread locks are not interruptible.
If we are using pthread cross-process locks, then they aren't
interruptible.

> do you mean "I don't want to kill a child process that is waiting for
> a mutex?"

I mean, I don't like the whole signal mechanism that we have setup.  I
like the model Greg and I have outlined.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131