httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter A. Friend" <octav...@corp.earthlink.net>
Subject Re: New hook.
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:39:57 GMT

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Ben Laurie wrote:

> > > would it make sense to have it so the hook is called >before< the error
> > > is logged so it could add some additional info to the error line perhaps?
> >
> > I specifically didn't do that, because the error log is paramount.  I
> > believe the most important thing is that the error is written to the
> > error log.  If a module seg-faults during this phase, I don't want that to
> > stop the error from being logged to the official error log.
> >
> > I can see the argument for allowing modules to add to the error, but I
> > can't see what they would add, or how to ensure that they don't stop the
> > error from being logged.
>
> Obviously if they want to log errors+extra stuff, they can just do it
> themselves.

I am coming in on this late. Personally, I have always wanted a module
slot for this or at least configurable error logs. Right now I have to
hack the main source to add things to the error logs so that the piped
logger has enough information to route the log message to the right
place.

Peter

---
Software Engineer
EarthLink, Inc.

"I like it here. It's like a cross between Paris and France." - One of
   several teenage girls on a street corner in Rome