httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: plz vote on tagging current CVS as APACHE_2_0_19
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:34:24 GMT
rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> Yes, the requirement is to keep the information about the threads that are
> still processing requests.  Summarizing that data is not good enough.  If
> the thread is still active, the scoreboard entry must still exist.

Sorry, wasn't clear. Of course the info is all kept around until the worker goes
away. The summation happens only after all workers and processes have departed and
the shmem chunk is to be freed, if the data is needed.

> > You should never be able to start more processes than the config specifies. The
> > user set the config for a reason. Creating more processes than are allowed in the
> > config violates the principle of least astonishment in my opinion. Let the user
> > define what their upper bound is. They know their system. Allow them to config
> > in the amount of extra transitional processes that they determine their system
> > can handle. We should not be guessing that we can start extra processes that
> > weren't configed. IMHO this is just asking for trouble.
>
> They have configured their system for the general case.  We are talking
> about the edge case here.  The user has asked for 10 processes with 25
> threads each.  What they are saying, is I want 250 threads.  If we are
> all of a sudden under heavy load, then we have to give them 250 threads,
> 227 isn't good enough.

I agree that they want 250. Give or take small fluctuations due to MRPC and
idle processing...

What I disagree with you about is that if they say MaxClients=10 that they
meant 10 not 12 or 15 or some other random number > 10. Some systems pay a
heavy price for processes.

--
Paul J. Reder
-- Albert Einstein