httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul J. Reder" <rede...@raleigh.ibm.com>
Subject Re: pod+connect doesn't work with threaded idle server maintenance
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:02:00 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> Please tell me how I'm confused...
> We want to get rid of a whole process.
>
> If we write one char to the pod and connect() one time, we tell one
> process, call it process A, to go away but we leave 19 other threads
> in process A stranded in accept().  Processes B and C are unaffected
> so far.
>
> If we write to the pod and connect() again in hopes of waking up one
> of the 19 threads stranded in process A, we likely will tell process B
> or process C to go away since there is no guarantee which thread will
> be awakened by the kernel.

Since worker_thread is given the child_num of the process, could we not
send the child_num of the killing process on the POD so the kids can
check. If it doesn't match their process number (i.e. if this is a B or C
thread) then they ignore it, or pump it back onto the POD.

We may need to loop sending the POD message and joining threads until we
have hit all 20 desired threads.

Any joy here?

--
Paul J. Reder