httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <grega...@remulak.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 CHANGES
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:56:06 GMT
Cliff Woolley wrote:

> > How huge are 20 apr_mmap_t's?  Big deal if they have to wait for the end
> > of the request.  and how common would it be to have 20 include files
> > anyway?
>
> Yeah, but there're other problems, like chewing up too many file handles
> in pathological cases...
>
> > Let's see some real world examples where this is noticeably bad.
>
> What about mod_autoindex on a directory with 1000 files?

<gulp>  If the little icons on each line turn into subrequests, you've
got me, for sure.

I don't think many admins would intentionally turn on autoindexing on
such a directory - imagine navigating thru this puppy with your favorite
browser.  But if they did, I'm sure that they would rather see output
than seg faults.

As I think I said, I don't mind a superior solution.  But the last time
I checked, it didn't exist.  Seg faults in the core whenever you use
something as popular as mod_include just don't cut it.

Greg