httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Allowing modules to add input filters is broken
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2001 11:04:01 GMT
Bill Stoddard wrote:

> > rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> is to
> reasons

> > > Mod_tls should check the port in the pre_connection phase, and add the
> tls
> > > filter if the port is an SSL enabled virtual host.
> >
> > I know. That was my point!
> >

> What was your point? Guess I didn't get it. One question though... How do
> you know if "the port is an SSL enabled virtual host" (your words not mine)?

Actually, they were Ryan's.

> Seems the best you can do is to know that the port  is an SSL port (via a
> server wide config) You cannot know in the pre_config hook which VH the
> request belongs to.

My point was that mod_tls has to do its thing in the pre_connection
phase, which isn't compatible with "but this is a really bad idea for
reasons mentioned in both of our previous posts".

And you can know which VH to the level SSL can care about, since it is
purely IP/port based (if we ignore the upgrade header, which is a
different thing that no browser implements [which is not to say we
shouldn't, of course]).

Cheers,

Ben.

--