httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:38:23 GMT
On Sat, Jun 09, 2001 at 08:30:23AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> mod_cgid should NOT use a named pipe.  We started with a named pipe, and
> we moved away from that model for some very good reasons.  Secondly,
> mod_cgid does NOT work on windows, and it shouldn't.  The reason for
> mod_cgid, is that Unix's tend to not know how to fork threaded programs.
> Windows doesn't know how to fork any program, so using mod_cgid on Windows
> makes zero sense.

ack.

> BTW, APR already has named pipes.  Just what are we trying to solve here?

i looked at the named pipe code: i believe that you are thinking
of 'unix' named pipes, which are a totally diffrerent beast
from nt named pipes.

... but i could - and am likely to - be wrong.

time to write requirements:

i am looking for, in apr:

- a means to set up a server and have other programs (not
remote programs) connect to and communicate with that server.

the semantics must be identical to those of unix-domain-sockets,
namely a listen, bind, accept, read, write and close.

- a means to transfer security context between
the server and the 'other programs'.  i.e. if the
client program is running as 'foo', then it must be
possible for the server to be 'told' this - _if_ it
needs to know.

so, the implementation of this _tends_ to suggest
unix-domain-sockets on unix, and NamedPipes (_not_
unix named pipes) on NT.

however, if unix named pipes do exactly the same
job as is listed in re3quirements above, please
let me know and i'll shut up and code :)

btw, i notice that there is no NT version of
apr_named_pipe_create().

... yet?

luke