httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@ebuilt.com>
Subject More migration of code from httpd to apr-util
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:15 GMT
On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:33:15PM +0200, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> ack.  if i make a [rather short] list of functions i am literally
> duplicating line-for-line, would that suffice as motivation to,
> say, add them to aprutil?

Your list of potential functions looks mostly good to me (haven't sat
down and thought too hard about it though).

I think the question is whether or not there is a predefined limit to
what goes in apr-util.  We've hit this recently with the crypto/ stuff.

I think it probably means that some of the committers need to work on
things outside of httpd itself.  When I wrote the mod_mbox stuff and
had to write a standalone indexer, I needed the date and uri functions
from httpd.  I initially copied them over, but then, since I now have
commit access and no one screamed too loudly, I moved them into
apr-util (with some help on the httpd side) and deleted my private
copy.  But, I think this will have to be done on a case-by-case basis
with lots of thought for each one.

There also needs to be a guiding vision for apr-util as well.  I'm not
sure what that is exactly.  =)  I think we might be able to define that
though...

I'd be curious to look at subversion to see if it is duplicating any
code, but the domains are so different, I doubt there is a lot of
overlap.  The more users of apr-util, the more we can identify things
that might be worth migrating from httpd into apr-util.  But, you
are always free to copy the code if we don't move it into apr-util.
-- justin