httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <ad...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [Lou_Vaughn@bmc.com: FW: I18N Server Side support for OS running foreign locale]
Date Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:29:48 GMT
> From: "Vaughn, Louis" <Lou_Vaughn@bmc.com>
> To: "'human-response@apache.org'" <human-response@apache.org>
> Subject: FW: I18N Server Side support for OS running foreign locale
> Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:41:08 -0500
>
> Greetings,
>
> First please note that I spent a good bit of time searching the FAQ's & User
> archives before sending you this question.
>
> Does Apache support I18N characters in server side path names, host name,
> etc. for various foreign languages (e.g. zh_TW, JA, etc), (i.e. not just
> document content)?
> If not, will this be coming any time soon?
> If so, how do I specify the locale for httpd at startup (i.e. is there a
> locale directive for httpd; I've looked and can't find one)?

There is _no_ specific locale concept, it's the local system locale.

With that said, Unix is very flexible.  If you give paths and file names utf-8
characters, that is what it will serve if passed utf-8 pathname arguments.
Windows NT and 2000 (NOT 9x) are Unicode file systems, and on Apache 2.0 they
actually treat all path/file names as utf-8, translating the path name from
raw utf-8 to raw unicode.  So on either system, its rather simple.

If, on unix, you aren't running an i18n set of tools (vi, ls, etc), the file
names will appear nonsensical, but if you use DAV to move web files about, it
becomes simpler very quickly.

utf-8 is quickly becoming the defacto definition of URI strings.  Older netscape
and IE browsers still send URI requests in the 'local code page' of the preferred
language, which gets pretty messy.  An input filter on Apache 2.0 may someday soon
deal with this ambiguity.

I can't address your question about i18n hostnames, however.

Bill