httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.0 final ?
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:34:47 GMT

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > Trick question, let me explain...
>
> I think people like him are asking: when is the fiddling done, and people
> have a program they can start to incorporate into their operating system
> releases, deploy for production customers, etc?  While we're still working
> on low-level issues like pools/sms in APR and fixing other big performance
> issues, we're not there yet.
>
> I think it's enough to state "as soon as the showstoppers are out of
> the httpd-2.0/STATUS file" as a qualifier for that.  Hopefully it means
> folks are focusing on those issues.

Hopefully...

IMHO, it is incredibly important to get a decent Apache 2.0 threaded MPM beta out that
people can begin to use.  It doesn't have to be perfect, it doesn't have to have every
function implemented in the most desired way. It needs to be "good enough" for a beta;
good enough for folks to use it in serious applications and begin giving the committers
feedback on what is good and what must be fixed. The only feedback we are getting now is
squat. And lots of it. Because our last beta was in March.

There are a lot of problems waiting to be discovered in the code (other than the ones we
already know about). The longer we sit on what we have, the longer those problems will
remain hidden.

Bill