httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/threaded threaded.c
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 11:53:48 GMT
Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> writes:

> Jeff Trawick wrote:
> >
> > James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> writes:
> >
> > > One problem: the specs allow MAX_INT to be defined with a *MUCH* lower
> > > value than this - 32767 or thereabouts? At which point, you could
> > > theoretically be hitting the limit quite frequently...
> >
> > This comment implies that Apache is able to run on a 16-bit machine.
> > Is that really correct?  Or, is running on a 16-bit machine something
> > we would accept patches for?  (seems unlikely)
> >

> ANSI specified that INT_MAX must be at least 32767, although larger
> values are OK. UINT_MAX "doubles" that. I'm guessing we could
> find the integer type at configure time that is large enough for
> our needs and typedef it...

Maybe my point wasn't taken.  Rephrased more simply.

INT_MAX still has to be the largest value that can be stored in a
signed int, so

on a 16-bit machine, INT_MAX will be 32767
on a 32-bit machine, INT_MAX will be 2billion or so

Therefore, bringing "32767" into the discussion means bringing
Apache-on-16-bit into the discussion.

I seriously doubt we would want to hack up Apache *and* APR *and*
expat *and* PCRE *and* whatever else to work on a 16-bit machine.  I
seriously doubt that any publically released version of Apache has
ever worked on a 16-bit machine.

So let's put the "32767" part of the discussion to rest.

             Born in Roswell... married an alien...