httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Installing alternate transports in Apache 2.0
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 22:50:48 GMT

> Time to dig up an old complaint I once had about filters.....
>
> Apache 2.0 had an interesting capability with the old IOLs that we lost during the
> transition to filters.  Specifically, we can no longer install alternate transports at
the
> network i/o layer. For example, OpenSSL I believe has an API that supports secure socket
> calls (secure_read, secure_write, etc). Windows has a similar secure socket API. With
> IOLs, we were able to abstract out these calls via an IOL with pointers to the appropriate
> network i/o routines.  We cannot do that with Apache 2.0 today (without some work).
>
> WIBNIF we reintroduced the notion of a network layer IOL?  For the above mentioned SSL
> API, we would insert the appropriate IOL during the pre_connection phase. The core filter
> would use iol_read, iol_write, etc. to do the network i/o.  Thoughts?

For anything that is implemented as a file descriptor, this already just
works.  Basically, just use apr_os_put_sock to create a socket out of a
file descriptor.

The problem really only shows up if we are trying to use a non-file
descriptor.  At that point, IOL's might be nice.  Jon Travis was telling
me he wanted that ability for files yesterday.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131