httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Mod Proxy
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 22:46:09 GMT
On Fri, 18 May 2001, Graham Leggett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to nail the whole proxy issue once and for all.
>
> I suggest that we follow the same release procedure for proxy as we do
> for apr and apr-util.
>
> Why?
>
> - We know it works.
> - The RM knows how to do it already.
> - The APR people don't have to do anything other than make sure their
> stuff works.
> - The proxy people don't have to do anything other than make sure their
> stuff works.
> - The RM can release whenever they like without any coordination with
> anyone.

This is backwards.  Right now, APR and APR-util are still essentially a
part of the HTTP server.  In reality, those projects are going to start
doing their own releases.  We haven't solved this problem yet for the web
server.  Making the proxy work like APR and APR-util just delays the
problem.  I do not believe we want to couple the release of one product to
the release of another.  I know I personally do not want to rely on the
web server to have a release before APR can have a release.  And, I don't
want APR's releases to be held back by the server.

Things are also a bit different for APR and APR-util.  Those are
libraries, and an over-riding rule for library developers is "don't break
backwards compatability".  This means that we can continue to move APR and
APR-util forward, irregardless of the server.  If the server wants to
release, it should go grab the last release of APR and APR-util.  If the
server needs a feature that is in the latest version of APR and APR-util,
then it either needs to encourage a new release for those products, or it
needs to wait.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131