httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 17 May 2001 23:23:35 GMT
On Thu, 17 May 2001 rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> >   +          - dup the cached apr_file_t into the request pool on each
> >   +            request so that the MMAP is created in the request pool
> >   +          - just cache the FD, not the whole apr_file_t.  Build the apr_file_t
> >   +            and its apr_bucket_file in the request pool.
> >   +          - add an extra parameter to apr_bucket_file_create() which is the
> >   +            pool that an MMAP (if any) for that file should be created in
>
> We don't need to dup the cached file.  Just use apr_os_get_file and
> apr_os_put_file to move the file descriptor to the correct pool.  We don't
> add a new cleanup, so the file won't be closed, but we will then be using
> the correct pool when we create the MMAP.

Right, so that basically fits in with option #2.  Option #1 has raised
various concerns since it was first proposed, including concern over the
possible expensiveness of dup() on some OS'es.  I just thought I'd
document all of the reasonable suggestions for completeness-sake, though
at this point I personally prefer one of the latter two options.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA