httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: Allowing modules to add input filters is broken
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 09:52:14 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> If filter types are equal, then order is dependent upon insertion, which
> falls back to the insert_filter ordering.
>
> So... you can correct your filtering ordering by adjusting its type and
> inserting it whenever, or you can have the same type as the core filters and
> just make yourself run before the core filters.

But as Ryan pointed out, and as the code shows the HTTP_HEADER filter is
added before the insert_filter hook, so it's now impossible to add
AP_FTYPE_HTTP_HEADER filters that do anything.

I posted a patch to fix this.

> I'd say make your insert_filter hook APR_HOOK_MIDDLE and use
> AP_FTYPE_HTTP_HEADER - 1 for the type. Then it will run just before the
> HTTP_HEADER filters.

So adding a -1 will place the filter before the last filter? What if
someone else tried to add an AP_FTYPE_HTTP_HEADER filter in another
module without a -1? Now it would no longer work, and it would not be
clear as to why. In addition, AP_FTYPE_HTTP_HEADER filter would have to
work differently to the other filter types.

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street