httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Ames <>
Subject Re: Scoreboard redesign
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 18:00:39 GMT
Ian Holsman wrote:

> > Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > > Seems to me, this will break gracefull restarts
> >

> Don't we have a 'generation' number on each process?

> maybe there could be something at the thread level which says what generation it is using.
> so when a gracefull restart happens, as each thread gets notified, and finishes it's
> request it will bump up it's generation count.

I don't think you could easily do the generation stuff at the thread
level, because all threads within a process share a given config, server
structure, vhost structures, etc.  Doing it at the process level like we
do today would be much easier.

> then you have a GC thread/process (also fired off by the graceful restart) which is responsbible
> dealloctating the sharedmemory (or any other resource needed to be cleaned up). It would
wake up
> every second, look to see if there are any threads still on the generation it cared about,
> if not it would be safe to deallocate the resource.

yep, but just on processes, not on threads.  I would suggest just
writing a little scoreboard GC function that gets called by
process_idle_server_maintenance - runs every second in the parent

> or am I missing something?

I think you're right on the money, except for the thread vs. process

View raw message