httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: Rollup such a good idea? (was: Apache rollup tree)
Date Sun, 06 May 2001 20:58:00 GMT
Chuck Murcko wrote:

> Httpd is getting huge when you count all the support projects it
> includes. I think we're moving in the wrong direction keeping it as a
> monolithic release.

I'm thinking in terms of someone who has had to maintain an Apache +
extra modules before. It may make life easier for us in some ways, but
it sure sucks for the end user.

> My opinion has changed in the opposite way yours
> has, from thinking mod_proxy needed to be in the core to thinking both
> it and httpd are better off with a 2 stage release process.

The hassle here is that mod_proxy does belong closer to the core. Both
the mod_core and the proxy_http modules are both very similar to each
other, sharing a lot of common code. Ideally Apache should be able to:

- provide frontend modules for connecting browser -> server.
- provide backend modules for connecting server -> HTTP | filesystem |
CGI | FTP | Jserv | etc

Obviously this is a development for Apache > 2.0, but moving proxy away
from the core now is moving in the wrong direction.

					over Bourbon Street

View raw message