httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: Installing alternate transports in Apache 2.0
Date Wed, 23 May 2001 00:24:22 GMT
On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 03:48:42PM -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > WIBNIF we reintroduced the notion of a network layer IOL?  For the above
> > mentioned SSL API, we would insert the appropriate IOL during the
> > pre_connection phase. The core filter would use iol_read, iol_write, etc.
> > to do the network i/o.  Thoughts?
> How is that different from swapping the bottom filter (doing normal write,
> writev, sendfile) with an SSL filter (doing ssl_write)?

Right... what Roy said. Just use YOUR_STACK rather than CORE_IN and
CORE_OUT. That should do the trick nicely.

Of course, how we select the right bottom filter is still hard-coded
(similar to IOL selection, I would believe). However, we at least have a
*name* attached to that bottom filter now (unlike IOLs). It would be
feasible to do something like:

<VirtualHost IP:PORT>
  NetworkFilters MINE_IN MINE_OUT

The default, of course, is CORE_IN and CORE_OUT. The code that inserts the
CORE filters would just look at the configuration directives and install
whatever it was told.

Greg Stein,

View raw message