httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanc...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: Apache 1.3.20 rolled and ready for testing
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 00:39:41 GMT
   Since when do I have to have a host entry for my machine in order to
run httpd?  I computer thinks its hostname is 'bartleby'.  There is no
DNS entry for it, nor an /etc/hosts entry, since it gets its IP via
DHCP.  When I try to launch Apache, it complains:

[Thu May 17 17:36:23 2001] [alert] httpd: Could not determine the
server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName

And it exits with an entry in the error log:

[Thu May 17 17:36:23 2001] [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to
gethostbyname("bartleby")

This is new; previously it launched OK.  If I set ServerName in
httpd.conf, the complaint to stderr goes away, but the log entry is
still there and the server still exits.

I reckon I can add bartleby to /etc/hosts as an alias for localhost, but
it looks like one part of the server thinks it can deal, and another is
bailing out.  Anyway, this used to work.

	-Fred