httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Scoreboard redesign
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 21:52:54 GMT
Greg Ames wrote:

> rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> >

> > > hmmm...more thought, code reading, and whiteboard doodling is called
> > > for.  Off the top of my head, I would think one of the config hooks in
> > > mod_status could allocate a big chuck of shmem for its use on every
> > > restart.  Then the new worker processes would see the Right Stuff as far
> >
> > You can't allocate on every restart,
>
> sure we can, if we are careful about cleaning up

Allocating is simple. So is clean up.

> > Again, you can't do that,
>
> understand your concern, but it just requires code.

That's the rub. :) It would involve, at least to my eye, some
non-trivial adjustments to how the whole parent process handles
generations. Right now, we change a value in the scoreboard
and that's it. With this, we need to control and manage 2 (or possibly
more) scoreboards, at least for some period of time, while the
graceful restart is monkeying around. If the main reason why is
to "save some scoreboard memory" I don't think the added complexity
or cycles would be worth it... Be that all said, if this *is* added,
I could see some future uses for it.

          "Hell is hot, that's never been disputed by anybody."