httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@ebuilt.com>
Subject Re: Dealing with MS Web Publishing Wizard
Date Wed, 16 May 2001 05:00:00 GMT
>Following a suggestion by a Usenet user, I'm forwarding you my findings
>about an incompatibility between Apache (v. 1.3 at least) and Microsoft Web
>Publishing Wizard.
>[...]
>OK, I have understood what it happens, but I don't know how to fix it.
>
>Briefly, WPW violates HTTP 1.1 specs in three points:
>
>--- 1. WPW expects a "100 Continue" response from the server, but it forgets
>to request it with the due "Expect: 100-continue" header. RFC2616, in the
>section 8.2.3, says:
>
>      - If a client will wait for a 100 (Continue) response before
>        sending the request body, it MUST send an Expect request-header
>        field (section 14.20) with the "100-continue" expectation.

That could be detected by the user agent field and worked-around.

>--- 2. WPW then sends a dummy "Content-lenght: 0", whereas the section 4.4
>of RFC2616 states:
>
>   When a Content-Length is given in a message where a message-body is
>   allowed, its field value MUST exactly match the number of OCTETs in
>   the message-body. HTTP/1.1 user agents MUST notify the user when an
>   invalid length is received and detected.

That is just too broken to bother making a work-around.  Basically, this
client won't work on any network with proxies, gateways, or valid origin
servers, so there is no point in us thinking about it.  Microsoft will
have to fix their bugs before WPW can be a usable tool.

....Roy