httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Winstead <j...@trainedmonkey.com>
Subject Re: HTTP Protocol question
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 21:49:36 GMT
On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 01:42:54PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> Is it reasonable for a client that claims to support HTTP/1.0 to
> -require- a content length header on all responses?  The client
> I am working with will discard a response if it does not have a
> content-length header.  This doesn't sound reasonable to me as the
> server can signal the end of the response by closing the connection.
> Looking for the definitive answer before I tell the client maker
> to fix their code.

well, rfc1945 makes it fairly clear that content-length is
optional for responses, and section 7.2.2 confirms that dropping
the connection is a valid way to signal the end of the response
in the absence of content-length. the http/1.1 specs make this
even more clear, of course.

anyone requiring content-length on responses is going to be sorely
disappointed in the number of websites they can actually visit.
for example, amazon.com, yahoo.com, and ibm.com all don't send
content-length. (of course, a wireless device may not be expected
to talk to 'normal' websites.)

jim