httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Apache rollup tree
Date Sat, 05 May 2001 11:54:40 GMT
Bleck. That is exactly what I was trying to say we *don't* do. That is just
adding a bunch of overhead onto the RM. Just as we got the RM's job all nice
and simple, this goes and monkeys it back up.

The httpd RM happens to roll APR(UTIL) because Apache simply can't work
without them. It is rather easy to test whether Apache works or not. When
you start throwing in independent, optional modules, the RM then has to know
a lot more about what is going on.

The httpd RM should just release a plain httpd. The rollup should be
separate, and handled by a rollup RM.

Just consider the timing of your suggested approach. How are you ever going
to do (1) when httpd is a moving target? (1) can *easily* fall out of sync.
Therefore, (2) could never happen since it must include a valid (1).

The modules key off httpd, never the other way around. We don't build httpd
to match a specific release of mod_proxy.

Instead, you release an httpd. *THEN* the modules ensure they work with
*that* released version. The modules have a solid, fixed target to shoot
for. *THEN* you release a rollup.

Cheers,
-g

--