httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/tls config.m4
Date Sat, 05 May 2001 11:47:44 GMT
On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 11:09:47AM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> mod_tls and mod_ssl are unrelated. mod_tls was the first shot Ben did
> for us. mod_ssl is the port of my Apache 1.3's mod_ssl to Apache 2.0.
> The idea is that mod_ssl takes over the way SSL/TLS is hooked into
> Apache 2.0 from mod_tls.

No. That is not my understanding at all.

The way that I heard things: mod_tls is how we do the SSL connection at the
basic level. It deals with Apache's I/O filtering. mod_ssl builds *ON TOP*
of mod_tls.

Further: I understood that building on mod_tls was a necessary precondition.
Not that mod_ssl was to replace mod_tls.

Ben got all the kinks worked out of how to do the basic SSL/TLS stuff within
the filter system. Modules such as mod_ssl (and possibly others) are to
build on that.

Cheers,
-g

--