httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/threaded threaded.c
Date Fri, 04 May 2001 16:44:29 GMT
Jeff Trawick wrote:

> INT_MAX must be the maximum value for type int.  You can't have
> INT_MAX be 32767 if the values for int range from -2billion to
> +2billion.

No one said that, AFAIK.

> An int must be at least a 16-bit integer.  That is why INT_MAX must be
> at least 32767.

ANSI says nothing about bits however. All I'm saying is that we
can't make the "assumption" that signed ints go from -2B to +2B
because ANSI doesn't allow that. ANSI says all you can assume is
that they go from -32k to +32k (+/-). Making any kind of assumptions
on bit sizes can lead to trouble. If you need a *guaranteed* larger
range, it's up to the program to determine the right type:

   #if INT_MAX <= 32767
   typedef bigrange_t long
   #else
   typedef bigrange_t int
   #endif

In practicle, real-world matters, I doubt if the assumption that
ints are +/- 2B will bite us at all.

          "Hell is hot, that's never been disputed by anybody."