httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l...@samba-tng.org>
Subject Re: APR shared memory requirements.
Date Wed, 02 May 2001 13:22:43 GMT
On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 08:49:43AM -0700, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Most people have realized that APR's shared memory support isn't good
> enough to support Apache, or in reality most other applications.  We had
> this discussion during the hack-a-thon, and we came up with a small list
> of requirements for APR's new shared memory implementation.  Here are the
> notes:
>
> 1)  malloc-like implementation
> 2)  Anonymous and Key based shared memory support
> 3)  Def-ref macros (these must use double indirection)
> 4)  Reference counting
> 5)  Cleanups that use the pool implementation

sander, elrond and i have written up a stackable memory system.

we were waiting for an opportunity to present it to you [apr]
such that it would be received.

the stackable memory system basically allows one memory-allocation
system to allocate memory from another.

[not like the pool system, which is just a means to allocate
memory from the system library (malloc/free), and to associate
cleanup routines with it]

there is nothing to stop you, or anyone, from writing a
shared memory library that conforms to the SMS api.

there is nothing to stop anyone from modifying apr_pool* to
conform to the SMS api.

in this way, you could pass in a shmem-SMS-parent allocator
to apr_pool_create(), and it will create a shared memory
pool that looks, to all intents and purposes, like an apr_pool_t.

interested?

luke