httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <li...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: bucket siblings / thread safety
Date Tue, 01 May 2001 20:41:50 GMT
From: "Bill Stoddard" <bill@wstoddard.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 11:56 AM

> Why can't we just cache the open file descriptor (not apr_file_t,
> but the actual descriptor) then build a bucket out of the request
> pool (just as if we opend the file as part of the request
> processing)?

What file descriptor?  This is the wrong way to go, IMHO.  We invented
apr_file_t's for a reason.  Provide a way to 'realloc/copy' an apr_t
entity into another pool (different lifetime) portably, don't go assuming
stuff.  On win32, we MUST know if the file handle was opened normally,
or for overlapped IO (no current file position) access.