httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: Allowing modules to add input filters is broken
Date Fri, 18 May 2001 16:58:46 GMT
> > > If you use ap_add_input_filter() inside the ap_hook_insert_filter()
hook
> > > the filter doesn't run ever.
> > >
> > > The HeaderIn directive allows you to add or alter incoming headers
> > > before they are sent to modules like mod_proxy or mod_cgi.
> >
> > As I (and now Ryan) have pointed out, the only way to filter headers is
> > hook the pre_connection hook.  But this is a really bad idea for reasons
> > mentioned in both of our previous posts.  I think the right thing to do
with
> > mod_headers is to handle the HeaderIn processing in the request fixup
hook,
> > not as a filter.
>
> Why is this a bad idea?  The filter should be able to determine if it is
> required very quickly, and if it isn't, it just removes itself.  If it is,
> then it just does it's job.

As mentioned earlier, HeadersIn would be limited to server scope (and not
allowed in any containers).  Well, you could get complicated and walk the
conf tree but that seems to be much too complex a solution to what I believe
the problem to be.  Hooking fixup is all mod_headers really requires to
manipulate inbound headers. I could be wrong about that though :-)

Bill