httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject HTTP Protocol question
Date Tue, 08 May 2001 17:42:54 GMT
Is it reasonable for a client that claims to support HTTP/1.0 to -require- a content length
header
on all responses?  The client I am working with will discard a response if it does not have
content-length header.  This doesn't sound reasonable to me as the server can signal the end
of the
response by closing the connection.  Looking for the definitive answer before I tell the client
maker to fix their code.

Humm..... the client is a wireless device which brings up other issues that can muddy the
picture,
specifically issues with starting and maintaining TCP connections to wireless devices.  Looking
for
brain food here :-)

Bill