httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Installing alternate transports in Apache 2.0
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 20:25:19 GMT
Time to dig up an old complaint I once had about filters.....

Apache 2.0 had an interesting capability with the old IOLs that we lost during the
transition to filters.  Specifically, we can no longer install alternate transports at the
network i/o layer. For example, OpenSSL I believe has an API that supports secure socket
calls (secure_read, secure_write, etc). Windows has a similar secure socket API. With
IOLs, we were able to abstract out these calls via an IOL with pointers to the appropriate
network i/o routines.  We cannot do that with Apache 2.0 today (without some work).

WIBNIF we reintroduced the notion of a network layer IOL?  For the above mentioned SSL
API, we would insert the appropriate IOL during the pre_connection phase. The core filter
would use iol_read, iol_write, etc. to do the network i/o.  Thoughts?

Bill