httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: mod_headers
Date Fri, 11 May 2001 12:39:24 GMT
> Hi all,
>
> There has been some discussion on the proxy list about a patch that
> allows request and response headers to be modified based on config
> directives for proxy requests.
>
> Ideally though, header fiddling should be done in mod_headers and be
> available to all of Apache, not just the proxy.
>
> Would anyone mind if I started hacking at mod_headers for a bit? What
> I'd like to do is turn it into a filter, and allow it to fiddle with
> both incoming and outgoing headers

YES! I had this on my todo list as well and will gladly review whatever you
come up with. The specific case I was interested in is adding headers
containg timestamp info. to responses.  I would like to add a timestamp
header recording when the request was received and another timestamp (either
append to the existing header or on a new header) just at the point when the
response is actually being sent on the wire.  An instrumented client could
use this info to help pinpoint end-to-end performance problems.  Would also
be cool to enable passing format strings on a header directive (like
mod_log_config).

Bill