httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Stoddard" <b...@wstoddard.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server/mpm/threaded threaded.c
Date Thu, 03 May 2001 20:31:43 GMT

s/connection/process/

> > MaxRequestsPerChild == 0 means that a connection can stay up and serve requests
indefinitely.
> > Setting it to INT_MAX puts an upper bound (a very large upper bound) on the number
of
requests that
> > can be served on a connection.   I doubt this is of practical concern though. My
main
concern... is
> > this patch portable? Is INT_MAX defined everywhere consistently?

rbb says...
> Wait a second, our user configured the server so that the child process
> never terminates.  That's what our docs say that directive does.  This
> says, well, we just take a really long time to terminate.  Either the
> patch needs to be backed out, or the docs need to change.  I personally
> would rather keep the 0 meaning the child process never dies.

Yea, I think I agree on principle of least astonishment.  The cases where this could cause
a problem are few (if they exist at all) but would be a bitch to debug.  Consider the
servers used to handle the Olympics. They take a wicked numbr of hits and may not be
recycled for the duration of the event.

Bill