httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@mail.reppep.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] mod_proxy in?
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2001 01:32:01 GMT
At 7:27 PM -0700 2001/04/19, Sander van Zoest wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:
>
>>  A fabulous idea, IMHO.
>>  Basically, as Chuck stated that you suggested, a PORTS system for
>>  Apache.
><snip>
>>  ./configure --enable-proxy, but proxy really isn't included - it's
>>  just a dist file. configure then fetches the corresponding tagged
>>  release listed in the dist file from cvs (or, from a set of releases
>>  at apache.org via FTP/HTTP/CVSup/what-have-you), and builds
>>  it.
><snip>
>
>I would suggest that one of the requirements of a system like this,
>would be (just as BSD ports) that if the module release tarball
>already in the local dist directory, it will use that to build instead.
>
>This would allow for those boxes/networks that do not have connectivity
>to the internet to still function in the same manner other then the
>download of the module.

	And the system (if it ever exists) should allow user
specification of a 'local' repository, so if you have a fileserver on
the LAN, it's checked for the appropriate files first. I keep patches
from sunsolve on something like this, and it's a real timesaver, but
maintaining it is a PITA. Should be built into any forward-thinking
network build system.

						Chris
--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>