httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Pepper <pep...@mail.reppep.com>
Subject Re: mod_proxy in HTTPd
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:01:29 GMT
At 2:59 PM -0700 2001/04/24, Greg Stein wrote:
>Exactly.
>
>This is also why I suggested that the httpd releases its stable tree. The
>proxy team verifies their "current" works against that stable release, then
>*they* release an httpd/proxy combo.

	The problem here is that that doesn't scale. If we have 3
almost-core modules, users get apache, apache+a, apache+b, or
apache+c -- the combo builds are useless if you want two or three
add-ons. I will probably just want SSL, but it doesn't seem wise to
assume that people will only want one such add-on.

>The core httpd team does not have the means necessary to ensure that the
>current proxy is ready for release. As a result, the release can easily be
>shot down due to a problem in the proxy module.
>
>By detaching them, we can keep the httpd releases moving more smoothly.

	Sure, but let's remember that without much more coordination
from module maintainers than from the core Apache team, core-plus
builds are very limited in audience.

						Chris
--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>