httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Wed Apr 25 23:45:04 EDT 2001
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:11:32 GMT
Blue Lang <blue@gator.net> writes:

> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > RELEASE NON-SHOWSTOPPERS BUT WOULD BE REAL NICE TO WRAP THESE UP:
> >
> >     * htpasswd.c and htdigest.c use tmpnam()... consider using
> >       mkstemp() when available.
> there have been a couple of patches out there to deal with this.. were
> there problems with them? will they only be accepted if they work on 1.3
> and 2.0?

IMHO, for 2.0 what we need is an APR function (or a special
apr_file_open() flag) which creates a temporary file according to the
needs of the platform (probably it uses mkstemp() on Unix) and returns
an APR representation of the file.

This would fit in well with htdigest which already uses APR file I/O.
htpasswd uses stdio, for better or for worse.

I have no strong opinion for 1.3, but: I don't think mkstemp exists on
all supported platforms, the use of mkstemp()-created files with stdio
may not be portable across all supported platforms, and there is no
APR to handle any nuances, so I suspect the 1.3 apps would get a
little uglier and a little less stable (i.e., might break on some
platforms).
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...