httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <trawi...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/docs/manual index.html.html index.html.ja.jis index.html
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:29:29 GMT
Joshua Slive <slive@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> writes:

> On 19 Apr 2001, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>
> > yoshiki@apache.org writes:
> >
> > > yoshiki     01/04/18 19:54:28
> > >
> > >   Added:       docs/manual index.html.html index.html.ja.jis
> > >   Removed:     docs/manual index.html
> > >   Log:
> > >   New Japanese translation.
> >
> > Can somebody explain to the ignorant what needs to be done so that
> > index.html.html will be returned when I ask for /manual/ ?  I guess a
> > tweak to DirectoryIndex would work, but I doubt that was the
> > intention.
> >

> Options +Multiviews
> will probably do the trick.  (In reality, you want to set your browser
> correctly so that index.html.en will be returned.  index.html.html is
> just there for misconfigured browsers.)

multiviews doesn't help, at least like this

<Directory /home/trawick/apacheinst/manual>
    Options Indexes MultiViews
</Directory>

Personally, I'd like to know how to make this work, but I'm wondering
why a non-trivial exercise is required so that somebody who installs
Apache can read the manual.  Doesn't it seem wrong that the pages
don't just work without changing the browser?

About the browser cfg...  I have netscape set up to prefer En.  What
else is there to do?

Thanks,
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...