httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_include performance numbers
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:35:34 GMT
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Umh... that's bogus.  There is no reason and no way that simply having a
> file parsed for SSIs should have to be that slow.  I hope there is
> something very not right here (ie. room for big performance improvements)
> causing very poor results, but SSIs have always been quite cheap to parse
> (despite what people like saying; traditionally, any overhead has been
> more in the loss of cachability), and it seems pretty weak to take such a
> massive performance hit.  What mod_include is doing is quite simple, and
> running some simple pattern matching over the output just shouldn't be all
> that expensive when the CPU cycles required should be so cheap.

To clarify, this is not nearly as much of a problem for platforms with
MMAP.  It's platforms without it that have to read in the whole file to a
bunch of 8KB heap buckets that have issues.  The problems there are mainly
a bazillion mallocs/frees, as I said in my last message.  I've gotten rid
of as many extraneous ones as I can already, and the rest are fixable with
a bit of judicious memory reuse for buckets, which is on the way.

In short, don't blame mod_include... blame the buckets.  For now, anyway.
=-)

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com