httpd-dev mailing list archives

From dean gaudet <dgaudet-list-new-ht...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Are Location directives broken (or why run directory_walk if location_walk finds a handler?)
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:52:31 GMT
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Why should we run directory_walk() if a location_walk() has identified a handler
> for the request???

only reason i can think of is because the "/" url has always been
considered to be in the filesystem, and so you have to run directory_walk
to get any access control/auth which has been set on or above the docroot.

i'm not saying this is a good design.

the best design i can think of is to virtualise the entire urlspace and
use "mount points" to mount subtree handlers.

oh and get rid of all the wildcard and regex crap.  it's a waste of cycles
:)

-dean