httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:34:10 GMT

> > > It doesn't affect any operator initiated shutdown/restart commands, only
> > > internal algorithmically generated things like
> > > perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild.
> >
> > Then it doesn't solve the problem that Paul was talking about.
>
> AFAIK, the specific problem that Paul had when he started this thread
> was triggered entirely by MaxRequestsPerChild.

The specific problem that Paul had when this thread was started, was that
the server could hang in the case that all processes had a single thread
serving a long-lived request during a graceful restart.

> > general, I don't understand why this change is necessary.  If we solve the
> > problem of operator initiated shutdown/restart, then any problem with
> > perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild should fall out in
> > the wash.
>
> uhhh, no.  Read some of the posts in this thread more carefully, please.

I have read them all in great detail.  If we solve the problem of the
operator initiated restart, then MaxRequestsPerChild and
perform_idle_server_maintenance will just end up working.  This is because
the problem occurs when a lot of child processes are trying to exit at
once, but that can't because one of the threads is serving a long-lived
request.  this situation is actually producable with a graceful restart.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131