httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 04:35:13 GMT

> > > OK, it's committed...works swell for me.  Paul?
> >
> > Um...  This is an incredibly dangerous change.  This makes Apache shutdown
> > one threaded process at a time.  I think we have all downloaded tarballs
> > that are hundreds of megs, which can take a few hours to download.  What
> > happens if while my server is serving one of those files, I need to do a
> > graceful restart to re-config my server.  If the first process shutdown is
> > the one with the thread serving a three hour request, then my server won't
> > actually restart for 3 hours.
> >

> It doesn't affect any operator initiated shutdown/restart commands, only
> internal algorithmically generated things like
> perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild.

Then it doesn't solve the problem that Paul was talking about.  In
general, I don't understand why this change is necessary.  If we solve the
problem of operator initiated shutdown/restart, then any problem with
perform_idle_server_maintenance and MaxRequestsPerChild should fall out in
the wash.

Ryan
406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131