httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:34:23 GMT

> > > OK, it's committed...works swell for me.  Paul?
> >
> > Um...  This is an incredibly dangerous change.  This makes Apache shutdown
> > one threaded process at a time.  I think we have all downloaded tarballs
> > that are hundreds of megs, which can take a few hours to download.  What
> > happens if while my server is serving one of those files, I need to do a
> > graceful restart to re-config my server.  If the first process shutdown is
> > the one with the thread serving a three hour request, then my server won't
> > actually restart for 3 hours.
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> I agree with you Ryan.  Haven't thought about this much over the weekend, but my inclination
is that
> a combination of strategies is required. First, split the scoreboard into two, one for
process
> management and one for status.  The process management scoreboard will be small enough
to enable us
> to overcommit processes to compensate for multiple processes being restarted at once.
Then as Greg
> suggests, put some bounds on the number of process that may be in restart.

I am 100% on board with splitting the scoreboard.  I disagree with putting
bounds on the number of processes allowed in restart however.  I don't see
how it is possible to get around the problem outlined above.  I haven't
really thought it through though, so I could easily be missing something.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131