httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Suggested direction for fixing threaded mpm thread startup.
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:06:57 GMT
On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Greg Ames wrote:

> Bill Stoddard wrote:
> >

> > > AFAIK, Paul hit this problem because of idle_server_maintenance and/or
> > > MaxRequestsPerChild - true?  If that's really the extent of it, I
> > > believe there's a pretty easy solution.
>

> > > If you buy that, then why doesn't that solution work for
> > > MaxRequestsPerChild as well?
>

> > True (IMHO).
> >
> > > For the low end folks it's probably the default anyway, which we
> > > developers just pulled out of the air.  So if we have our mixed workload
> > > process basket case scenario going on, just hold off on killing any more
> > > processes until the first one terminates completely.
> >
> > Show us some code :-)
> >

> OK, it's committed...works swell for me.  Paul?

Um...  This is an incredibly dangerous change.  This makes Apache shutdown
one threaded process at a time.  I think we have all downloaded tarballs
that are hundreds of megs, which can take a few hours to download.  What
happens if while my server is serving one of those files, I need to do a
graceful restart to re-config my server.  If the first process shutdown is
the one with the thread serving a three hour request, then my server won't
actually restart for 3 hours.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131