httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/loggers mod_log_config.c
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:19:29 GMT
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Bill Stoddard wrote:

> Debugging another problem related to this patch got me to thinking....
>
> <vent>
> Is this patch pedantic?  I mean, what is wrong with letting mod_log_config handle the
%c directive
> just as it always has?  We are trying to file every single little nit in its tight little
spot at
> the expense of maintainability.  This code base is getting seriously complex. Stuff like
this makes
> it even worse.
> </vent>

This patch is important, because it means that if I want to log something,
I don't have to modify mod_log_config.  Think of cookie logging.  Why do
we enable cookie logging if mod_usertrack isn't in the server?  I want to
be able to extend logging without modifying another module.

yes, this may be a bit more complex, but it puts the onus of logging a
feature on the code that implements the feature.  I would much rather do
that, then to put the onus on a completely unrelated logging module.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131