httpd-dev mailing list archives

From <...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Let's remove some modules from Apache 2.0
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:36:15 GMT
On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Jim Winstead wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:06:50PM -0400, Bill Stoddard wrote:
> > The module would not go away. It will just live somewhere else. Let the folks
> > who are interested in it maintain it. Given a bit of time, I am sure I could
> > contrive dozens o silly modules that try to 'do what I mean not what I asked',
> > which is this modules purpose in life.
>
> it sounds like it really fails the 'is actively maintained' test.
> i think whether the module is useful or not is disputable, but
> the lack of a maintainer doesn't appear to be. :)

I don't think the module has lost its maintainer.  I just don't think
there is much to do with it.

> i don't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with this, but something
> i realized recently is that the balance of people contributing to
> apache httpd development and maintenance has shifted over time from
> people who actively run websites to people who develop software. i
> think it has caused some interesting changes in what people consider
> important. (i'm not trying to pass any judgement on those changes,
> although just by bringing it up, i suspect i have.)

I actually noticed this a while ago, and decided that I wanted more
experience running a web site.  For that reason, I have actually created
http://www.rkbloom.net/, and I am finally running my own server.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131