httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: setenv/unsetenv?
Date Wed, 05 Apr 2000 22:17:34 GMT
> On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> > Could someone remind me of the reason for not having the mod_env
> > setenv/unsetenv modify the real environment as well as modifying the
> > internal table?
>
> Aside from the thread safety issues on threaded platforms, there are
> performance issues.  All the ways to set variables should either all not
> set them as "real" environment variables or should set them only in the
> Apache tables (modulo cases like mod_cgi), since otherways you introduce
> even more confusion.  So setting per-request ones with setenv() would be a
> major nasty, since many setenv() implemenations are... not known for their
> performance friendly nature.

But what about the poor user who sticks an unsetenv into their
global-scope httpd.conf expecting it to unset a database-related
environment variable like ORACLE_HOME or PGHOST or something along those
lines such that any Apache module like mod_auth_*, PHP, mod_perl, etc.
will not use that env variable.  It is somewhat confusing that this works
for CGI and mod_include, but nowhere else.

-Rasmus