httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Cliff Woolley <cliffwool...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: mod_include performance numbers
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:52:23 GMT
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Paul J. Reder wrote:

> Thanks Cliff, I couldn't have said it better, except that I believe that even
> on MMAP systems some price is paid whenever an SSI tag is found and replaced.
> The replacement content for the tag gets put into newly allocated buckets which
> I believe are malloced even if the rest of the content is MMAPed. So the
> bucket/brigade reuse pool would be VERY helpful.

I thought of that after I hit send.  You're 100% correct.  So let me
revise what I said to "the performance hit is significantly exaggerated on
platforms without MMAP, but MMAP alone doesn't get rid of all the
problems."

At any rate, the summary still stands: it's malloc and free that are
killing us.

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com